Friday 4 November 2011

Am I a cyclo-holic?

I've got members of my family and friends who I'd say are work-o-holics.  Mates who have put on 4stone since we finished Uni together, and spend their time flying round the world for their jobs.  I think maybe it used to be trendy.  They obviously enjoy what they do at work, which must be nice.  I guess I sometimes enjoy work too, sometimes its interesting and stimulating.  But mainly I go to work to earn money to pay for the other more interesting things in life, like family and cycling.

I find if I cant get out on my bike I'm a grumpy bastard.  I need at least an hour a day normally.  I call it training or commuting.  In reality I could easily get the bus to work.  And I dont need to train that hard in November - what am I training for?  Theres months till the start of the race season, and I've been looking forward to the end of the 2011 race season for ages.  Yet if I cant get out on my bike at some point during the day then there's something missing.

I was turning this over in my mind during the day today while riding my bike.  I think there are several reasons behind why I spend so much time in the saddle, and why I'm so addicted.  Partly I actually really enjoy it, the outdoors, the weather in my face, the wind, spray, sun, the exercise.  Oddly its very relaxing as well.  Even when working hard my mind clears, worries and irritations seem less important, or in better perspective and easier to ignore.  My mind can wonder for hours, thinking about the most ridiculous rubbish.  And when I get home I'm not tired, instead I feel refreshed and invigorated - my woes generally stay where I've put them, out of the way.

I like to know I've been out and put my miles in.  When I get home I know I can relax, because I've done the hard work.  Theres not many people in Scotland who train harder than I do, and that thought lets me feel content.  I hate the idea that there are people out there training harder than me.  When I'm on my bike I feel special, and its a good feeling.

I know a lot of people who ride bikes. A lot of people who ride bikes an awful lot.  Guys like me, who are probably letting it take over their lives a bit.  Training sessions that eat into the time when they should probably be at home with their families, or maybe at work.  Spending evenings surfing the net for the latest 'must have' cycling accessory.  Chatting about nothing but cycling.  Going on cycling holidays.  Watching bike racing on Eurosport.  Reading and writing cycling related crap on internet forums.  It becomes a bit of a lifestyle rather than a mode of transport.

How do I justify it to myself?  I tell myself it keeps me fit healthy, strong.  It keeps me sane, and able to deal with the shit that life throws at me.  It makes me happy.... but does it.... or does it just make me angry when I cant have it?!  Whatever the answer, I've no intention of stopping any time soon.  Am I a cycloholic?  There are a lot of worse things I could be addicted to I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting points Rob. A few things I have thought to myself as well. Sometimes I can have some great ideas or realise a solution to a problem while on the bike, and have to stop and type a note into my phone for later.

    I was wondering- is it just the road ride that you yearn for, or would other types of cycling fill the gap. I can be satisfied with a cruise into and around town on the hybrid for example. But I know you sold your MTB kit...

    There are some interesting points in Joe Friel's training guide about motivation and succesful race cyclists. He notes that the best riders will be constantly thinking about structuring cycling/training around their life, or even atructuring their lives around the bike sometimes. Getting the sessions done no matter what, e.g in foul weather.

    Another interesting idea he has is of the 'support network' in your life, i.e friends and family- having them back you, wanting you to do well is important to doing it for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I enjoy the road most.

    There is a level of concentration required for road riding which leaves room for my brain to wander. I'm not saying I dont pay attention when riding my bike, but it doesn't take 100%, where as riding downhill single track does.

    For sure, if you're going to have a life alongside being a successful cyclist and a day job then you need to work out techniques for fitting in training whereever you can. Riding to work, getting out early, lunchtimes etc, its a difficult balancing act and requires a fair bit of determination and understanding family.

    ReplyDelete