Saturday 30 April 2011

West coast tour: Day 1

Home to Vattersay. Set off yesterday with the drive up to Oban through the terrible public holiday traffic. Luckily I'd left a little spare time as it was 40mph the whole way up virtually. It was great to ditch the car again and head for the ferry to get away from it!

At the ferry it looked like half the world had turned up to go for a touring trip. The bikes out numbered the cars which was pretty cool. I was also surprised at the range of people going touring. There were several old over weight couples lots of older women as well as the skinny middle aged men that you expect.

The passage out to Barra was very smooth with just a bit of swell crossing the minch. Unfortunately I forgot you're not allowed back on the car deck once you're sailing so left my book water etc behind then had nothing to do for the 5hour crossing.

Once we got off at Castle Bay I had a plan to head round to Vattersay to camp for the night. I got round there no problem but had been expecting it to be easy to find a water supply which unfortunately it wasn't. Fortunately some guys in a camper can were kind enough to supply a bottle full and from now on I'm filling up whenever I get a chance!

So the first day was pretty good. The weather was excellent, I managed to do what I'd planned and haven't forgotten anything important! Only 6miles cycled so far!

Garmin stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment