Monday 9 May 2011

Duncan McGregor Memorial Road Race

Quick write up from yesterdays Super6 RR in Fife.  The Duncan McGregor RR is run on a hilly circuit near Leven in Fife.  I've done it twice before and always found it pretty tough going but I do like the circuit.  This year its a month later than previous seasons so I've got more race miles in my legs and was hoping for a decent finish after riding well in several of my last races.  The weather on the drive through was terrible - torrential downpoors of rain, so heavy the road disappeared at time.  In between the sun was coming out though, so a real mix of weather.


The race started in typical fashion with riders going up the road trying to form a break and these getting chased down, and everyone looking at one another to see who'll jump next.  I went in several of these and some of them seemed quite promising, but the bunch was strong and not wanting to let anything go.  Each time I came back to the bunch it was clear that it was being whittled down.  Having started at about 70-80 riders by the start of lap 2 there were maybe 40-50 left.  Eventually on the back of lap 2 a break did get up the road.  Unfortunately, despite trying to get on Ben Greenwoods wheel to bridge across to it I didn't manage and was in the bunch watching the break ride away.  They gradually pulled out a reasonable gap, but were never too far up the road.  There was some half-arsed collaboration to try and bring the break back, but it was clear the only way a group of rider would work together was if it was a small group, so there was a lot of attacking to try and get free.  Up front the break can't have been working too well as they were still in sight despite the faffing in the bunch.

The break was infact pulled back at the start of the mini circuit that you do halfway round the 3rd lap, just after the most horrific rain shower.  The mini circuit features a pretty big climb and with the race pretty much back together it seemed likely that this was where it would be decided.  Unfortunately at the foot of the climb there was a loud pop and my rear tyre immediately went flat.  I kept going till the bunch had past, and got service from the service vehicle while trying not to panic.  The car towed me back up to the rear of the convoy and I made my way back through it as fast as I could, but the bunch had split up on the climb so I had to weave through riders and then bridge across a large gap to get to the lead group.  I was just recovering and adjusting my rear brake when a group of 7 or 8 jumped of the front.  It took a while for them to get away and I burried myself to try and go with them, but my legs just werent having it and i dangled for a bit before drifting back to the remains of the bunch (only about 12 riders by this stage)

Once again there was a lot of folk sitting on and only 2 or 3 willing to try and get over to the lead group.  Realisticaly I should have sat in a bit more at this stage.  The race came round over the brow of the hill before the final desent toward the finish and there was a strong cross wind, so at this point myself and a few others managed to break clear.  We worked pretty well together, but there was no way back to the lead group.  I took 3rd in the sprint from our group of 7, so 10th overall, which considering the puncture isn't too bad.  James McCallum took another impressive win, he's going well just now, better than i've seen him ride in previous years.  I've no pictures from the race

Next races coming up are a 10TT at Cambusbarron on Wednesday night, and the Sam Robinson RR this Sunday.  The 10 will be my 1st of the year and a good practice before the Scottish 10 champs at the end of May.  I've finally got my hands of a proper TT bike so i'm looking forward to trying it out.  The Sam Robinson RR at Balfron is another local race, and one of my favourites, taking in the Dukes Pass.  I expect it'll be another hotly contested race especially as the organiser has got £200 up for 1st place.  Rather annoyingly the race has been categorised as RegionalC+ on British Cycling, which means the points are rubbish.  I don't know why the organiser would do this as its unlikely any 4th cat riders would consider racing it anyway.  I'm not chasing points this year, but it does seem a bit frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment