Monday 2 May 2011

West coast tour: Day 4

North Uist to Harris. Sunburn! My ears are toast. Not complaining though. I think I only packed factor 20 thinking there was no way I'd need anything stronger. My Oakleys have been doing 15hour shifts, and although it doesn't feel hot on the bike, the sun is strong.

I'd thought this morning i might make it over to Lochmadday for a coffee and cake before heading for the afternoon ferry to Harris, but I underestimated the distance and just came direct to Bernaray for my refreshments before getting the boat. I didn't find North Uist an awful lot more appealing this morning but at least the roads were quiet and it was less built up round the north west corner. Open moorland with the tops of dunes and the sea in the distance. Some of the scenery is spectacular but for me it isn't a patch on what Harris has to offer. Berneray was ok and the ride north was good but it was the view out into the Sound of Harris that I found appealing. Hundreds of little rocky islands with a backdrop of hills in the distance.

The passage across the Sound of Harris is the craziest rock dodge I've ever been on! The boat takes an hour, but that's mainly because its going sideways round rocks half the time! Really beautiful crossing though, skooting between the islands. A guy I was talking to said the islanders plan to build a causeway across the channel eventually, similar to those between other islands. I think that would be a great shame as its a fantastic waterway. I would dread to have to navigate it in a boat however!

Harris definitely has the whow factor and it is just as dramatic as I remember it from when Laura and I visited several years ago. Sun sparkeling on turquoise water, white beaches, green hills and blue sky, its a brilliant place. When we visited before we camped at a place called Horgbost where there is a basic campsite next to a beautiful beach that looks across toward the hills and beaches on the other side of a large bay. I got here at 4 so its been nice to spent time chillin before tea. The last few days I've been on the go till 6 or later. Today I only did 35 miles though where as yesterday was 60. Tomorrow might be tough as I've got to get to Stornoway for the ferry to Ullapool by 1330 and its 40+ miles away with some hills. I'd I cut out the faffing and photo & cake stops I should make it no bother!

The pic shows Taranasy I think, and standing stone, which seem to be pretty common round here.

Garmin stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment