Saturday 7 May 2011

West coast tour: after thoughts

What worked and what would I do differently next time?

Next time I'd definitely think about going with someone else.  It was good going alone, setting my own pace, deciding where I wanted to go each day and when I wanted to stop etc, but it would have been nice to have someone there to experience it too and talk to.

The route was excellent.  I found 60-80mile days were pretty good, but also nice to have a 35miler in too, to have an easy day.  Using the ferries was brilliant.  Bikes go free, and they have to be one of the best bargains going - crossing cost between £4-£12 as a passenger.  A 5hour crossing from Oban to Barra costs £11!


Camping: I found it relatively easy to find places to wild camp all over the west coast.  There is very little in the way of proper camp sites on the Western Isles, so just as well its easy to wild camp.  Getting fresh reliable drinking water I found a little tricky.  Most public WC, village halls etc have an outdoor tap.  I guess you need to use your judgement on whether you trust the water coming out of the tap to be drinkable.  Doing long miles on the bike its essential to drink plenty though.  I found I needed minimum of 3.5litres for my evening meal, hot drinks and breakfast.  During the day I'd drink Lucozade, coffee and water on top of that.

The tent I took - a Wild Country Aspect 1 was one of the larger 1 man tents I saw.  I was lucky with the weather and could sit out every night to cook and organise my kit.  If it had been poor weather I think I would have wanted a larger tent, or would have been making use of some of the hostels and bunkhouses  Taking a slightly heavier, larger 2man tent (3-4kg) probably wouldn't have been a problem.


Kit:
Of the kit I took everything worked pretty well.  I didn't have any major problems, and there was very little that I took that I didn't need nor stuff I didn't take that I required.

Charging electrical gadgets: I took a Blackberry, Garmin, and an old Sony Eriksson mobile.  I took a PowerMonkey Explorer, which I had as an old Xmas present to charge them.  Its basically a fancy rechargable battery with a variety of plugs to fit different devices.  The Blackberry wouldn't charge off the PowerMonkey, but I found I could find a 3pin socket on most ferries and a 45min-1hour crossing was enough to get the BB full.  The Garmin ran for 3 or 4 days without needing a charge, and I was then able to top it up from the PowerMonkey.  I used the Sony Eriksson mobile to avoid running down the BB battery - Sony Eriksson would run for days where as the BB doesn't.  I tried charging the BB in cafes, but I didnt find that very effective!

Stuff I took that I didn't use:
Waterproofs: I only wore my waterproof jacket on the last day and didn't take the over trousers out of the pannier.  I wouldn't go without them though!
Pump: I bought a new pump especially for the trip, and didn't need it.  I used it once to check the pressure in my front tyre but had difficulty attaching it to the valve and it let the tyre down!  I got it pumped back up, but didn't attempt to use it again.  I checked the pressure each day by hand and the tyres stayed firm.  Again I wouldn't go without one.  I was perhaps lucky not to get any punctures, but I think the Conti Gatorskin tyres are excellent and stood up well to gravel roads, heavy load, bumping across fields etc.
Book: Didn't really read it! Infact I swapped the one i'd brought in a tea room on Bernaray for a different one.  Next time I'll not take one at all.  I found there was more than enough to keep me busy.  I guess if the weather had been bad and I'd been in the tent more I might have read more.
Clothing: I lost a long sleeve base layer on day 2 - took it off because I was too hot and forgot to pack it.  Didn't miss it for the rest of the trip though.  I packed 2 of these so the one I had left was enough.  I worn the same bibshorts and s/s road jersey every day.  I washed them out most days and was able to hang them out and they'd be dry for the next day.  I had spares but didnt really wear them.  I took a down jacket and a fleece gilet.  I suppose I could have left the gilet at home and just brought the jacket, but it is pretty light and nice to wear.

Stuff that was really good:
Therma-rest chair: you inflate your therma-rest and fit it into the fabric holder and it makes you a comfy chair with a back rest.  It weighs next to nothing, and I packed it in alongside my tent poles. 5star
Garmin Edge 705: Before the tour I'd not used the mapping or routing functions on this much, but got plenty use out of it last week.  The maps I downloaded free (google OpenStreetMap), and they were fit for purpose.  The routing is a bit lame, but you can get it to do the job.  I'm not sure if the routing and ETA functions are better if you purchase the expensive OS mapping software, but the free maps I got did the job.  I found it essential for keeping track of distance to destination, average speed and so on.
Trangia stove with gas adapter:  Its a bit of kit I've had for years, but it once again was outstanding as one of the best items I took with me.  I wasn't sure I'd have enough gas, but the Primus 1kg(I think?) bottle I took was plenty, doing hot breakfast and dinner, plus a hot drink at lunch for 7 days, and still not empty.  Quick to set-up and boil, just brilliant!  I took a Thermos mug with a lid and that was a great idea as the lid helps if you knock it over and it keeps your drink warm for ages.
Ortleib Roller Panniers: Do exactly what you want them to do.  Keep your kit securely attached to the bike, easy to attach and remove, spacious, waterproof.  I packed 3 of them crammed full with stuff I wouldn't need access to during the day, and the fourth I kept semi full with a camera, food, extra clothes that I'd need during rides, plus my food.  They do act like a bit of a bucket with the item you want seemingly always right at the bottom, but I got better at packing them.  It took me a while to work out to always pack the one I'd need access to on the right hand side of the bike, as I found I inevitably stopped the bike and leant it on something on the lefthand panniers, making them hard to access.  Bungee cord on the rack was handy for securing extra bits and bobs (water etc)
Giant TCX: Ran without problems or any adjustment for over 400miles.  Lots of admiring looks from other riders!  I gave it a good service before setting off, and made sure the chain was well lubed.  The wheels (my winter training wheels, handbuilt by Mark Leadbetter - Mavic CXP22 on Tiagra) were comfortable and reliable and capable of taking me riding out of the saddle with the bike fully ladden.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Robin, great blog! Answers a few questions I had about my own trip. Really enjoyed your blog and photos of your trip.

    Great tips on where to find water and charging gadgets. As you can imagine I have a few gadgets :) Also interesting to read your previous blog on what you ate. My MSR Reactor stove is super fast at boiling water but not great at actual cooking. I'm trying to work out what I can cook with it in addition to the dehydrated meals I plan to take with me. Couscous or boil in the bag rice will work with some cooked chicken.

    Any problems keeping cheese from going off?

    Cheers,

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese seemed to last OK, plus I ate it pretty quick! Cold meat didn't keep, you need to eat it the day you buy it. I took stuff like coffee, porridge, washing powder, dried fruit, mushrooms, tomatoes and milk in resealable freezer bags meaning they took less space. Oatcakes were good as they'll take a battering but remain intact and they're full of carbs.

    ReplyDelete